Applying for your Driving Test


On 21 January, 2019 the RSA introduced a shorter EDT programme for foreign licence holders whose full licence from another country (jurisdiction) with which Ireland does not have an exchange agreement and may qualify for an exemption from EDT lessons 2,3,4,8,11 and 12. 

If you hold a valid full driving licence from another country for at least two years prior to application, you are exempt from the six month restriction. You can apply to the RSA for your driving test once you complete the six hour Reduced EDT course and have a Letter of Entitlement from the relevant licensing authority in your home country. This is a driver record with details of name, address, date of birth, driver number, date of expiry of licence and class of licence. (Refer to RSA In Ireland, there is a mutual exchange of driving licences with European countries, Canada, Australia and New Zealand. If you have a licence from any other country, you will need to go through the process listed above.

On the day of your driving test, you can have an interpreter with you for the Rules of the Road questions and the checks prior to the drive. However, the interpreter cannot go on the driving test with you.

Application form for Exemption available to download on next topic.